Friday, April 24, 2009

No country for poker players

A few nights ago, I was rail birding it,
(which means to sit and or stand and
a watch players play poker). It was
really interesting, mainly because the
players in the game were playing
pretty high stakes. It was a $5/$10 blind
table(pot limit). The hands were furious.
$300 or more average pot every hand.
To a novice like myself, I wasn't
intimated as much as I was becoming
frustrated. How could money be
thrown around in such away with out
much care. I say this because the
$10,000.00 that was on the table roughly
could have translated into a small
business to the average guy. I.E. me.
LOL. I know despicable right? Any way
I observed and I chatted at the table.
In a way I was much like these players.
I've risked probably just much as
they were risking and jabbing at them
telling them they were reckless. Hey,
I have been migrating from micro tables
to free rolls, and was now witnessing
complete and utter disasters. Any
normal individual would have thought
the same and maybe held there thoughts in.
I'm sure in some strange way I made some
points that were use full to those folks.
I couldn't have been a complete annoyance.
They could have ignored. They didn't. They
countered back and deservingly so. In a world
were money equals power, they were pretty
understanding and not snotty. I appreciated
that and it was a lesson learned. In the poker
world lessons, hit everyone and it becomes
a building block in your thought process. So
as time elapsed so did players. They disappeared
off the tables, some held strong. It was way into the
night 5:30 am or so. I ditched and went to bed.
Life changing amounts of money on a hand of poker,
seamlessly being dealt as I was dreaming of my big chance
of winning a tournament enough to be them one day.
Moral of the story. Take what you can get. Be who you
are. Respect is shared. Lessons are binding.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah i,ve watched the big boys play myself,and always thought one day soon that will be me.Im sure you get to see the money lost and won but i bet in the end its the same as us...you work your way up using good bank roll management,and soon this is where you sit.

    ReplyDelete